Crockpot Gumbo

This is a delicious - and simple -  way to fix a gumbo dinner for any night of the week!  Most gumbos begin with a roux ( flour, cooked in oil, constantly stirring, until it reaches a color similar to peanut butter).  I have found with this recipe I can skip that time consuming step and don't miss anything in the flavor or consistency. 
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken (I prefer a darker, more flavorful meat for this recipe so I use the thighs)
1 lb smoked sausage (andouille is best, but any good smoked sausage will do)
2 lbs cut okra
3 cans diced tomatoes
Creole seasoning
Thyme, Basil, Oregano

The recipe can easily be halved for smaller batches - just use 1/2 the amounts called for in meats and okra, with 2 cans diced tomatoes.

Place chicken into bottom of crockpot.



Cut smoked sausage into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces.  Add to crockpot.



Add cut okra over meat.



Pour 3 cans diced tomatoes (juices and all) over other ingredients.



Sprinkle with thyme, basil, and oregano.  I have no measurements for these, as I just eyeball it.  I prefer fresh herbs over dried for this, but whatever you have will work fine.





Add creole seasoning to taste.

Cover crockpot.  Cook on Low heat for 8 to 10 hours.  Stir before serving.

I like to add cooked rice to my gumbo when serving it up.  And a dash of hot sauce. 



Comments

  1. Looks delicious...I am not sure I can find okra though... I love that I could make it in my crockpot...Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the cut okra in the frozen section of my local supermarket. Pictsweet brand, I think. Hope that helps! If you try it - please let me know what you think.

      Delete

Post a Comment