Crockpot Roasted Chicken

I kept seeing instructions for this all over Pinterest and although I was a bit skeptical about making a whole chicken in the crock pot, I decided to give it a go.  The results were a delicious, moist, flavorful chicken!  Here's how I did it:


Take one whole chicken.


Remove packaging.  Remove gizzards and neck from cavities. 
Rinse. 


Season to taste.  I used powdered garlic, rosemary, and paprika.


Wash and cube potatoes.  I do at least 1 per person I will be feeding.  (This step is optional, but I'm all for getting as much cooking done at one time as I possibly can!)

Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

oops! lost a wing while removing from the crockpot!

Once the cooking time is done, you can serve it right from the crock pot.  But I like to carefully remove it, place her in a baking pan and pop under the broiler for about 10 minutes to crisp things up a little an give it a nice golden brown finish.  (I forgot to take a picture of that)

Here's one of my favorite parts!!

Leave the drippings in the crock pot.  After removing the meat from the bones, toss them back in also.
Add 4 - 5 cups of water.  Let this simmer in the crock pot on low overnight.
The next morning allow it to cool.  Skim off the fat, remove the bones. 
Homemade chicken stock!  Perfect for freezing to use in later recipes!

Comments