How My Garden Grows

Spring is quickly passing, and summer is right around the corner.  But if you are going by the weather, and the state of my vegetables and herbs - it's already here!  I have the first little babies showing up and I'm thrilled with their arrival!  Let's take a stroll...


The first baby red bell pepper

The first yellow pear heirloom tomato!
These delightful little yellow tomatoes are a colorful addition to summer salads.  With less acid than red tomatoes they can also be gentler on an acid-sensitive stomach.

My first Rutgers "heirloom" tomato
The Rutgers tomato was introduced in 1934 as an improved "General Use" tomato for processing as well as fresh market. Rutgers tomato was developed and released in the period between WW I and WW II.

Abundant basil!
I adore fresh basil!  I like cutting it just for the smell of it! Delicious!  Sometimes I'll throw some leaves into a green salad for a little extra "something".

Plenty of thyme!
Those are the potted plants.  I also have a pot of leaf lettuce which is coming along nicely, and a yellow bell pepper with plenty of blooms but no baby peppers yet. 

In the garden, yet more tomato plants are thriving - taking over even!  They have completely filled the cages and are the bushiest bushes I have seen in several years.  Expecting great things from them.  And the cucumber vines are in full bloom, with an abundance of teeny tiny little cukes showing up. 

I think it's going to be a nice, fresh summer around our house.  Produce costs decreased?  Check!!



Comments

  1. I want to thank you for the yellow tomato tip. My hubby has problems with acid so he don't have any tomatoes. I am growing 2 plants this year for me (4th of July they are called..) I am not as far along in the process as you are. It do have some tiny flowers on mine.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment