Bad Turkey

This year will probably be one that goes down in family history.  Years and years from now my great grandchildren will talk about it. 

"Did you ever hear about the year Oma ruined the turkey before it was even cooked?"



Yes, you read that correctly.  The thanksgiving turkey was ruined... before I cooked it. 

It happened like this:  last night I started thinking... "hmm.. better move the turkey to the fridge for thawing"  And asked the male offspring to take care of that task.  He comes back and says "What turkey?"  What does he mean what turkey?  I know good and well I bought a turkey.  A big turkey.  What in the world?  Oh no.  Oh noooooo... 

Flashback:  I was finished up the thanksgiving grocery shopping, trying to get it out of the way before going out of town for the weekend, and not wanting to battle the crowds in the few days before thanksgiving Thursday.  I was also baby sitting the grand baby that afternoon.  When I arrived home I got the grand baby and the bags out of the car.  Not wanting to carry a 23 pound wiggling baby AND a 22 pound frozen turkey, I left the bird in the trunk with every intention of coming back out to get it. 

You know what they say about good intentions right?  Yeh... right. 

I got distracted and completely forgot about that bird sitting in the trunk of the car.  Until four days later!!! 

After a brief freak out, several minutes of not being sure whether I should laugh or cry, and quite a bit of kicking myself - I realized there was only one option.  I was going to have to buy another turkey.  Either that or give my entire family food poisoning - which just doesn't seem like a good way to kick off the holiday season.

Comments

  1. Well better the turkey than the grandbaby seeing as they weigh close to the same ;]
    Hoping this ends up to be a fun filled turkey Thanksgiving day for you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, but the turkey would have been totally thawed out at least. *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog via the NaBloPoMo blogroll. And I'm glad I did. Not that I want to belabor the point, but there's just something so encouraging about someone else doing something dumb... instead of me. Love this story. A classic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment