Using Dried Beans

For whatever reason, I have been timid about using dried beads.  I think it's because I see them as being so time consuming.  However, recently I have set that aside and taken the plunge.  No more canned beans for me!  With a little prep, they are ready to use when you need them.  And oh so much less expensive than canned!  A can of beans typically runs me about 75 cents.  A pound of beans is on average about $1.25 - which yields me the equal of about 4 cans of beans! 

I like to use the "Quick Soak" method to prepare my beans for cooking:  Pour dried beans into a pot.  Add 6 to 8 cups of water.  Bring to a boil for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and cover.  Allow to sit for 1 hour.

 Drain.  Rinse.  Sort through the beans, removiny any icky beans, small stones etc.  (In all the times I have ever used dried beans I have never ever found a stone.  Does this really happen??)


At this point, I cook the beans.  Return beans to the pot. Add 6 cups water.  Bring to a boil.  Cover and reduce heat.  Simmer 1 to 2 hours.


Drain and rinse. 


I bag the beans for freezing.  A can of beans without the liquid is about 1 1/2 cups of beans, so that is the amount I freeze per bag.


When I need a "can" of beans, I just pull a bag out of the freezer. 


Comments