How to Make a Monogram Door Hanging

With Memorial Day right around the corner - I thought I would share a short tutorial for my bright and cheerful summer monogram door décor.


J

A few years ago I saw a monogram door hanging on Pinterest which immediately had me envisioning it in different colors and themes.  I knew  wanted to recreate in bright summertime colors for our front door.   Here's how I did it...




Supplies:
Foam Board
X-acto knife
Yarn (or twine)
Felt
Buttons
Glue gun and glue sticks
Ribbon



I used some yarn and buttons I already had in stock.  Picked up a piece of foam board at the $1 store, and 3 pieces of felt for less than 50 cents each at Michael's.  I also had the ribbon and glue sticks already in my stash.  Which makes my grand total to create this little cutie - less than $3! If you were purchasing the yarn, ribbon, and buttons also - you're probably still looking at less than $10.


Draw or trace the shape of the letter you want onto the foam board




Use an X-acto knife to cut out letter





Wrap letter with yarn (or twine).  I used a little craft glue to help hold it in place as I went along. WARNING: This is much more tedious and time consuming than you might thing.




I made felt flowers using a method I found HERE.  But you could use any flower - fabric, ribbon, crocheted, store bought, etc.  Be creative!



Lay out flowers on the letter to decide placement



Put a big blop (official crafting term) of hot glue on the back of each flower and press into place on your letter


Hold flower firmly until the glue sets.




Glue ribbon onto back of letter to make a hanger.



Ta-DA!  I love my brightly colored "P" on the front door!

What colors would you use to create your monogramed door hanging?





Comments