Have You Tried The Quinoa?

Between having a mother who is gluten-free and working with a few vegetarian nutritionists, I kept hearing about quinoa.  It's a grain-like crop grown in the Andes regions of  South America.  It is cooked in a manner similar to rice and is very high in protein and fiber. 

Last night I made quinoa for the first time.  I'm not sure why I have been hesitant to try this, but whatever the cause I finally broke down and did it.  Probably because I found it in the bulk section at EarthFare and could purchase just enough to make one batch rather than having to buy a whole box or bag; only to find out my family wouldn't eat it.

I started out simple.  1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water.  Boiled for 15 minutes.  Let rest for 5 minutes.  Fluffed with a fork.  Served up with broiled salmon and steamed broccoli.  And it was delicious!!

Next time, when serving as a side dish, I might make about 1/2 the amount.  We had a lot leftover.  But I did find out that chickens also enjoy quinoa!  :)

I look forward to trying it in some recipes for the summer months.  I've already spotted a few quinoa salad recipes I want to give a go.  And I plan to use it in some dishes I usually make with cooked rice. 

Do you ever cook with quinoa?  What are your favorite quinoa recipes?

Comments